Saturday, April 6, 2013

Spring Cleaning Your Wardrobe: What to Toss & Must Haves


If you’re anything like me, you still have clothes from 5 years ago clogging up your closet. I’m not what you would call a pack-rat, but I just like holding on to things in case they ever go back in style (can you hear the denial?). So this year I have made it my goal to really give the closet a nice spring cleaning. I thought I’d share the method to my madness since I can’t be the only one holding on to the past! 


Setting Some Rules

I’m not joking when I say you need to go into this with the right attitude. Having a friend around for support will make it easier. If you go in knowing you HAVE to get rid of some things, you will be less likely to chicken out. And having a (honest) friend will help with second opinion.

So with the right attitude and a good sense of your own personal style, you can absolutely modify your wardrobe to work with you (not against you). To determine your personal style, figure out:
(a)    What you’re most comfortable and happy in
(b)    What works best for your body shape
(c)    What your lifestyle entails (If you spend 40 hours a week at work, then the majority of your wardrobe should reflect that)  

Get rid of anything…

1.      You last wore over a year ago. It’s probably time to get rid of it UNLESS you try it on and really love it. Sometimes if you can’t see a clothing item in your closet you end up not wearing it even though it looks great on you. That’s why we’re doing this!
2.      That has rips, holes and stains, unless it can be mended or dry-cleaned. 
3.      You bought because it was trendy (you know what I’m talking about!)
4.      That doesn’t fit in with your personal style. 
5.      That doesn’t fit… period. Don’t hold on to old clothing that’s too tight unless you’re really serious about losing weight. And of course the other way around (anything that’s too big).

Classic Pieces Every Woman Should Own

Now that you hopefully cut your wardrobe in half, it’s time to talk about the pieces you should have hanging up in your closet.

A great dress for every occasion: I just love dresses because I can be a lazy styler. I love throwing on a dress and heading out the door. Make sure you have a few nice casual & formal dresses for every season.

Quality sweaters: This is something we all live in all winter long, so it’s best to invest in ones that will last! Try for a range of neutrals and patterns.

Comfy tees/tanks: a comfy tee or tank is something you will wear all year long, whether it’s layered under a cardigan in the winter or with a cute skirt in the summer. When you find a one you love, buy it in every color! If you like the tee in the image above, click here to see it in more colors.

Blouses: I’m a sucker for really clean looks with a little flair and embellishment. A classic blouse is something you’ll always get use out of, whether it’s for work or a night out.

Perfect pants: I’m ashamed to say that I owned over 50 pairs of pants before spring cleaning my closet. In reality, you probably only need 10-15. Go with a few pairs of really great fitting blue jeans, white jeans, black jeans or corduroys, khaki and black pants. That’s really all you need. 

Stylish jackets: It seems as though jackets like jean jackets, blazers, and leather will never go out of style. Whichever works with your personal style is the one you will want to keep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment