Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Welcoming Spring: Backyard Green Garden Party



If you’ve been in hibernation mode for the past 5 months like I have, you’re probably bursting at the seams to get out and do something! I find the best way to welcome spring is with a bright, casual backyard garden party with friends.

Throwing a party, even if it’s just a dozen people, can be overwhelming if you make it overwhelming. I’ve had my fair share of parties where I end up cooking ten different things when I really didn’t need to. The key to entertaining is simplicity and of course, staying within budget. This party is for the girl who wants to have a good time with her guests without having to spend all their time rushing around trying to get things done! 

The Outfit

Your outfit will set the mood for the party, so have fun with it! A dress is always my go-to because it’s effortless and you don’t have to worry about putting together an outfit. For this garden party, since most everything we’re serving is green, you’ll want to wear something that pops! Stand out in bright colors or even floral print.

Little details like the open back and high-low hem of the Luv4anouka dress shown (available in a boutique near you Summer 2013) above are what make this casual dress party-ready.

The Menu

If you really want to welcome spring correctly, take advantage of all the beautiful bright produce available. Artichokes, asparagus, fennel, avocado, peas and radishes are a few vegetables/fruits you can find in their prime during the spring time. To me, small plates are the best way to entertain so people can try a little bit of everything and you won’t get in trouble if you have someone coming with dietary restrictions. I always try to have at least one veggie dish, especially with so many people these days going meat-free. I also like to spice it up with different types of cuisine and offer a range of tastes (like something for people who are a little more adventurous).



It's always important to have a signature cocktail for the party that goes with the theme. This looks refreshing and it’s good to stick with something that’s not overly sweet when entertaining. 

This coloring looks almost artificial, but I love how it uses chili and coriander seasoning.

You can’t go wrong with puff pastry! So buttery and flakey, a nice compliment to asparagus. 

Everyone loves pizza, and it’s really easy to prepare ahead of time. I love how this recipe uses ricotta and lemon zest.

Pretty Touches



It’s the little details like these that surprise and delight people!

I’m not big on making dessert, so I usually ask one or two of my guest to bring it. If you don't feel comfortable asking them to do bring something, Ice cream or seasonal fruit sorbet is a great way to kick off spring.

These mini piƱatas are so cute and fun for guests.  And according to the blog, total cost for each favor is under one dollar!


No comments:

Post a Comment